}

Saturday, June 28, 2008

A Soulful Saturday: Otis Redding, Live at the Whiskey A Go-Go, Hollywood, CA (4-10-66)


(Photo via Georgia Music)

When I was digging around for that perfect quote that best summed up Otis Redding's live show to include in my review of The Weather Underground's recent show at the Mercury Lounge in NYC, I stumbled across an entire performance of Otis Redding's second-of-two 4-10-1966 shows at the Whiskey a Go-Go in West Hollywood, CA. Rather ironic, given my assertion of The Weather Underground being more Otis than James Brown, then I find Otis covering Brown's "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag"...Talk about some full-circle movement, eh?

A little taste (this from the 4-10-66 first show):



Then the 4-10-66 later show for your downloading pleasure:

Download: Otis Redding Live at the Whiskey a Go-Go, 4-10-66, Show 2.mp3

Setlist:

Your One and Only Man
Security
Good to Me
Respect
Ole Man Trouble
I Can't Turn You Loose
A Hard Day's Night
These Arms of Mine
Papa's Got a Brand New Bag (false start)
Papa's Got a Brand New Bag
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

(Thanks goes to Up the Downstair for the original)

No comments: