}

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Smokey Robinson Confirmed at Keynote Speaker for SXSW Music 2010



Smokey Robinson has been confirmed as this year's keynote speaker for the Music portion of SXSW 2010.

The incomparable poet of soul music, Smokey Robinson has been confirmed as the keynote speaker for the 2010 South by Southwest Music Conference, taking
place at the Austin Convention Center Thursday, March 18. As Motown celebrates
its 50th anniversary, Robinson, one the label's primary songwriters and first
hit-makers with the Miracles, marks closer to six decades singing professionally. The former VP of Hitsville USA recently released his latest batch of smooth romanticism, Time Flies When You're Having Fun, on his own Robso label and couldn't believe how 50 years felt like "three weeks ago" when the Chronicle caught up with him backstage this summer in Fort Worth: "I grew up in the hood in Detroit, [and being a singer] was my impossible dream. I never thought it would ever come true. I never thought I'd be doing this for my livelihood. Actually, when I was [young], I thought I was going to be a cowboy. That didn't go well. There were no horses in the neighborhood where I could hone my skills [laughs]." (SXSW.com)

No comments: