}

Friday, September 3, 2010

Arcade Fire Movie Shot at MSG by Terry Gilliam Being Rebroadcast in Full Until Noon Tomorrow


Like Arcade Fire? How about live? For the next 19.5 hours now, you can knock yourself out with some live Arcade Fire and not even leave your couch. The live show movie the Fire shot at Madison Square Garden in NYC on 8/5 this year, will be streaming below for the next 19.5 hours (basically until noon tomorrow). Directed by Terry Gilliam-yes that Terry Gilliam-it's steaming in HD and is pretty spectacular to look at. Set list is below.



Now Gilliam and Arcade Fire, how on earth did that love connection happen? Well, it seems the first Win Butler and Régine Chassagne to-the-movies date was to see Gilliam's 1985 movie Brazil. Gilliam comments on his getting involved with the project and offers Brazil is a way to test date match compatibility...

“I’m trying to find out what this f—ing thing is,” admits the director and Monty Python comedy team member. “I keep reading that I’m directing this thing, but I’m not sure that’s what I’m doing. Their manager called my agent less than two weeks ago and said, ‘We’re doing this webcast and the band would love it if you got involved.’ [The MSG show] will be the fourth that I’ve been with them. I’m a groupie, basically! If I see somebody doing something stupid I’ll probably mention that to them. But their show’s really good, and they’ve got really good video stuff already. So we’ll stick with what they’re doing and I can sit back and take credit for everything.”

One thing Gilliam con confirm is that he is a big fan of the Canadian outfit: “I do think they’re very special. I’ve felt that since Funeral.” That admiration is apparently reciprocated by band members, and married couple, Win Butler and Régine Chassagne. “Win said something to the effect that the first movie they ever saw together was Brazil,” reveals the director. “It’s a good way of finding out if your date is going to be part of your future! When Brazil came out I remember some married couples practically splitting over it. One would like it and the other would just despise the film.” Gilliam says he is regarding the webcast gig as an extended “date” during which he and the band can get to know each other, with an eye on collaborating properly at a later point. “It’s really about seeing if there’s a future between them and me,” muses the director. (Source)
Show runs about 1:30 and set list is below:
Ready to Start
Neighborhood #2 (Laika)
No Cars Go
Haiti
Empty Room
The Suburbs
Crown of Love
Rococo
Intervention
We Used to Wait
Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)
Rebellion (Lies)
Month of May
Keep the Car Running

Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)
Wake Up

No comments: