}

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Seen Your Video: Dismemberment Plan's "The Ice of Boston"

Washington, DC has been home to some interesting bands of note: Minor Threat, Bad Brains, Henry Rollins, Fugazi. Jonathan Fire*Eater was located in NYC but everyone in it was from DC. Then there was this band called The Dismemberment Plan. They broke up right around the time I got a DC address so while I'd heard the name, I never heard their sound.

Recently, I met someone with ties to the band so I gave TDP a listen and...wow. If Stephen Malkmus fronted and wrote songs for Fugazi, I think it would sound a little like TDP. And given that my ears have just stopped hearing nothing but Pavement, TDP was a nice find.

TDP regrouped in 2007 for a two-night-only benefit at The Black Cat. I understand that they were known for wild stage shows and massive amounts of energy, and this video from that show seems to capture some of that. But you can just tell it only scratches the surface and they were a band you most definitely had to see live.



Give a Listen: Ice of Boston-The Dismemberment Plan
(buy The Dismemberment Plan is Terrified)

2 comments:

bwu said...

D-Plan were completely fantastic, live and on record. "Emergency & I" and "Change" are lasting classics. I managed to see them five times, including the second reunion show. That reunion show was one of the most memorable live music experiences I've ever had.

RIP.

Unknown said...

My sister was friends with those guys. I gave them one of my old couches!