}

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Seen Your Video: Fitz and the Tantrums do "Breakin the Chains of Love"

A lot of the "blue-eyed soul" or "white soul" I've heard is good; a majority of it is borderline boy-band dreck. But stop the presses, I have found a band that does white soul with heavy dollops of 60s Britpop, and booooy, is it gooood.

As I mentioned yesterday, I discovered Fitz and the Tantrums after seeing their name as the opener for Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings' New Years Eve show here in DC. Armed with a Hammond B3 organ, a killer combo of horns/bass/drum, and a knockout voice in his backup singer, Mr. Fitz and company put on quite a show. His voice, ladies and gents, is truly live and not Memorex.

Upon reading about my seeing Fitz and the Tantrums at SXSW this year, and listening to the track I included, a friend proclaimed "I think my ass just became self-aware and started moving all on its own." This band from LA has a wonderful energy, and is reminding people that blue-eyed soul can be hip and modern, not sequestered to the wasteland of soft rock radio and Hall and Oats records from the 70s.



But Songs for a Breakup/iTunes

1 comment:

Travis said...

I think we should designate a special day where anyone standing in a line of any kind is legally required to shimmy from side to side like they do in the beginning of the video. Can you imagine how profoundly groovy everything would be, if only for a day? The DMV alone would be spectacular.