}

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

More Superchunk Dates Announced, New Record Set for Fall Release

I did my graduate work in the wonderful bastions of indie music, Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC. One band from that area that I was always bummed I never got to see during my time there was Superchunk. So when I learned they were playing SXSW this year at the Village Voice Day Party, I penned in their time slot, vs most everyone else who was in pencil. Am I ever so glad too... I think the words I texted to a travelmate after were "I think I have just seen God."

Superchunk isn't one to do a ton of touring these days, so it was really great to post awhile back that they were doing a few live dates. And as they did a couple new songs, "Digging for Something" and "Everything at Once," at the Village Voice show, we were also wondering if a new record was in the works or were they just...tinkering?

It seems the answer is a "yes" (yayayayay). Stereogum reported recently that the record will be called Majesty Shredding, the first release since 2001's Here's to Shutting Up. The release date is looking like fall, though there is no hard release date just yet. Scott Solter [Okkervil River, John Vanderslice, The Mountain Goats] is producing.

East coast tour dates were also announced for fall so let's hope that the release time for Majesty Shredding holds. Superchunk appears to have that "Replacements Factor" that I love, a band that can be hit or miss on record but live makes your brain melt, so it would be great to be able to catch the new stuff in a live setting first.

Give a Listen: Say My Name (Destiny's Child cover)-Superchunk

05.21.10 - Carrboro, NC - Cat’s Cradle
05.27.10 - Barcelona, ES - Primavera Sound Festival *
06.19.10 - Denver, CO - Westword Music Festival
06.20.10 - Chicago, IL - Taste of Randolph Street Festival #
07.24.10 - Omaha, NE - MAHA Music Festival
09.17.10 - Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
09.18.10 - New York, NY - Bowery Ballroom
09.19.10 - Brooklyn, NY - Music Hall of Williamsburg
09.21.10 - Boston, MA - Royale
09.22.10 - Philadelphia, PA - Trocadero

* w. Pavement & The Fall
# w. The Love Language

No comments: