}

Friday, August 27, 2010

DC's 9:30 Club Launches Record Label, 9:30 Records



Move over Dischord, there's a new label in town. Owners of the legendary 930 Club have started a new record label, 930 Records. Armed with a mantra, “If It Ain’t Broke, Break It!,” Seth Hurwitz, chairman of I.M.P. and co-owner of the 9:30 Club, said he decided to start the label after hearing local talent, Justin Jones. “You can imagine I’ve been exposed to more music than most, but once in a very blue moon, a new artist stops me dead in my tracks,” said Hurwitz. “When I first heard Justin Jones a few years ago I was blown away, and I’m determined to do all I can to bring this enormously talented artist to the rest of the world. It’s no secret the traditional record business is in total disarray. But I’ve been an independent businessman my entire career and have been used to taking things into my own hands, so we decided, hell, we’ll launch a record label so we can launch Justin Jones.”

Nashville's Thirty Tigers is distributing The Little Fox which hits stores and digital outlets on 9/14.

As you can imagine, Jones is mighty grateful. “We’ve been touring for more than a year showcasing this material and getting great responses from audiences, but signing on with major labels these days isn’t even something artists contemplate anymore. We decided to record something that sounds like us live. We went to our buddy’s basement, set up and in two days laid down the songs that would become The Little Fox EP. To have the 9:30 Club start a label just because of us, well, that’s pretty astounding. To have people like Seth Hurwitz believe in you and back you, I couldn’t feel luckier.”

No word as to other bands 9:30 Records is hoping to add just yet, but I'm sure we'll see news on this shortly.

To celebrate the launch of the record and the label, the 9:30 Club will host an exclusive invitation-only Open House Party on 9/16, which will include a special performance by Jones. Invites will be to media and such, but Hurwitz said they are also extending invites by a lottery to members of the 9:30 Club Forum (the club’s online discussion group), subscribers to Volume, the 9:30 Club’s print newsletter, the 9:30 Club’s email list subscribers, and members of 9:30 Club Social Media outlets.

No comments: