}

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Seen Your Video: The Avett Brothers Cover Springsteen's "Glory Days"



When I first saw The Avett Brothers at the Monolith Festival in September, I wasn't sure what the fuss was about initially. But as I said after seeing them, Seriously, don’t let the “bluegrass” tag avert you, these guys bring the rock. The bluegrass is filtered through in ways you don’t even notice until you realize you’ve stopped breathing because you’re so overwhelmed by the beauty of their melodies.

And their lyrics! You know when you hear a snippet of a line and are so knocked out by it, you look up the whole thing? They have this song "Laundry Room" which is this combination of sensuality and anticipation and stirrings of amazing emotion...

Last night I dreamt all night long,
woke with a head full of songs....

I spent the whole day,
i wrote 'em down,
but it's a shame
tonight i'll burn the lyrics,
cause every chorus was your name...

Break this tired old routine,
and this time don't make me leave...

I am a breathing time machine,
I am a breathing time machine


So it's utterly appropriate that this band that weaves such beautiful lyrical imagery covers another of my favorites who does the same: Bruce Springsteen. I don't know if "Glory Days" would have been my first pick from the Springsteen cannon for them to cover ("The River" would be incredible...or "Beautiful Reward" maybe...or "Spare Parts" but slowed down, making it all the more ominous), but regardless, it's a place to start.



(Hat tip to Ryan for the link)

No comments: